Joey Lotts, Director of Activities at Williamsburg Landing in Williamsburg, Va., “Every day at Williamsburg Landing is brimming with opportunities to engage with others, make new friends, learn new things, stay healthy and just enjoy the life you lead.
“With so many cultural, educational, recreational and social events and activities to choose from – both on and off site – our beautiful community elevates your lifestyle and enriches your life in mind, body and spirit.
“And here, the holidays are no exception. In fact, the holiday season at Williamsburg Landing is overflowing with holiday spirit and special events and activities that make the season even brighter and more cheerful. Opportunities abound to share in the wonderful sights, sounds and tastes of this joyous time of year.”
Celebrating and Sharing the Joys of the Season
Each year, Williamsburg Landing features two major holiday events that our residents look forward to with great anticipation: our annual Holiday Gala and our series of formal holiday dinners.
In addition, our Activities Department schedules a variety of other enjoyable holiday activities that take advantage of the wonderful resources of beautiful downtown Williamsburg. To date, our growing calendar of 2015 holiday events includes:
- December 4 – Annual Tidewater Big Train Operators Holiday Show, Virginia Beach, Va., including lunch at Passion The Restaurant
- December 5 – The Williamsburg Symphonia Holiday Pops Concert
- December 6 – Grand Illumination, Colonial Williamsburg
- December 8 – Potomac Mills® Mall & IKEA, Woodbridge, Va.
- December 8 – The Chamber Music Society of Williamsburg "Boston Piano Trio”
- December 9 – Holiday Gala Cocktail Reception
- December 11 – Virginia Symphony Orchestra "Home for the Holidays"
- December 16 – Holiday Lunch Trip to Lynnhaven Fish House
- December 17 – Virginia Symphony Orchestra “Holiday Brass”
- December 18 – Handel's Messiah at the First Baptist Church
Additionally, nearby Christmas Town at Busch Gardens® is the perfect place to take your grandchildren when they visit for the holidays. You can view all of the Williamsburg downtown activities on their website. (http://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/holidays) For your convenience, Williamsburg Landing provides a fleet of nine vehicles that will take you where you or your group would like to go.
We also invite non-residents to join us for our seasonal activities to sample our rich, vibrant lifestyle. Simply contact us today.
Study: Socialization Means Happier Lives for Retirement-Age Americans
Many older Americans today are separated from their families by great distances or other circumstances. This makes the holidays – and life in general -- much more difficult for them. Through no fault of their own, social isolation and feelings of loneliness often lead to serious health consequences.
A recent study published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society stated thatsenioradults who have “little face-to-face contact with family and friends are at almost twice the risk of developing depression.” The study examined data collected from more than 11,000 adults aged 50 and older and was part of the University of Michigan's Health and Retirement Survey. A major finding of the study was that communication via phone and email does not offset this significantly greater risk. Only the in-person contact makes a difference.
Fortunately, leading senior lifestyle communities such as Williamsburg Landing are making a major difference in the quality of their lives.Well beyond the holidays, the opportunities for social interaction at Williamsburg Landing are virtually unlimited -- 365 days a year.
Here, you can:
- Explore exciting new hobbies, such as woodworking or pottery, on campus
- Soak in the natural beauty of the area during a leisurely stroll on our walking trails
- Volunteer as a mentor to a student at nearby Rawls Byrd Elementary School or take advantage of a multitude of other volunteer opportunities
- Attend The Williamsburg Symphonia or one of the many other cultural performances
- Enroll in stimulating Christopher Wren Association classes (some onsite) with the College of William & Mary
- Enjoy the day with your grandchildren at Busch Gardens or Water Country USA
- Travel back in time and walk in history at Colonial Williamsburg
- Immerse yourself in history at Jamestown and Yorktown
- Play a round or two at the area’s nationally recognized golf courses
- Enjoy our outdoor pool, gazebos and patios with seating
Adds Kathy Kammer, Senior Director of Community Relations, “With so many activities, programs and ways to get involved socially, there is never a dull moment at Williamsburg Landing.”
Welcome to Williamsburg Landing
Looking for a vibrant, engaging and fulfilling way of life? If so, you’ll find it at Williamsburg Landing.
Nestled on 137 wooded acres along the serene banks of College Creek in Williamsburg, Va., Williamsburg Landing is the premier, not-for-profit Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) serving Williamsburg and its surrounding areas since 1985. With one visit, you’ll understand what makes Williamsburg Landing so special.
Williamsburg Landing is an ideal blend of beautiful landscaping and elegant, Colonial architecture. It invites residents to become part of its vibrant, active lifestyle and rest assured in its award-winning medical care. It eases worries with maintenance-free homes and apartments with resort-style amenities and services. The community thrives with energetic, involved and friendly people who love to live here and the warmth of dedicated, committed professionals who love to work here.
With a past rich in tradition and a future filled with promise, Williamsburg Landing is the perfect place to call home – for today and tomorrow.